Taumutu MaraeArts, Culture & Heritage
The takiwa of Te Taumutu Runanga centres on Taumutu and the waters of Waihora and adjoining lands and shares a common interest with Te Ngai Tuahuriri Runanga and Te Runanga Arowhenua in the area South to Hakatere.
The people of Te Taumutu Runanga descend from the tipuna (ancestor), Te Ruahikihiki and his son Moki II who settled at Taumutu in the seventeenth century. Te Ruahikihiki moved from Akaroa Harbour to Taumutu on the southern shores of Te Waihora (Lake Ellesmere). Te Ruahikihiki settled at the pa~traditional fortified village Orariki, which is where the present day Hone Wetere Church and hapu urupa (sub-tribe cemetery) are located.
Moki II established his pa site nearby at Taumutu, on the site where the present Ngati Moki marae is located, near the south-western edge of Te Waihora. In 1891 a wharenui meeting hall, named Moki, was opened on the site of the original historic Pa o Moki.
The meeting hall has undergone many alterations and additions and is now known as Ngati Moki. Grass covered mounds of earth can still be seen at the Ngati Moki pa site. These ramparts run parallel to Pohau Road and are the remains of the traditional battle defences of the original pa.
Address: Gullivers Rd, Southbridge 7683
Contact number: 03-324 2454 (Fiona Sloan)